The aim of Hilton Spencer Academy is for all children to reach their full potential and be Happy, Proud and Successful!
- We are proud to be a Growth Mindset school. We positively encourage children to make mistakes, learn from them and build the resilience to be successful in both their academic and social journeys.
- We provide a broad and balanced curriculum that is designed to enable every child to develop their independence, skills, knowledge and understanding as they progress through school and in readiness for their next stage of education.
- As well as enabling our pupils to gain a deep understanding of the National Curriculum, we recognise the importance of developing their social capability, spiritual understanding and cultural awareness. We want to empower our children so that they are well-placed to thrive with a lifelong love of learning.
- Our curriculum incorporates all statutory requirements.
The Learning Pit
All of our classrooms have a ‘Learning Pit’ – we celebrate the occasions when children (and staff!) are faced with something tricky and ‘fall into the pit’. The learning pit reminds children of strategies they can use to overcome the challenge and ‘climb out of the pit.
Children in Nursery and Reception follow the Early Years curriculum.
Our Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum is based on seven areas of learning:
- Communication and Language
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
In the Early Years the focus is on learning through purposeful play. Lots of opportunities will be provided to make use of the outdoor learning area. The child-led learning opportunities challenge the children to become independent, curious and motivated learners within a secure, happy and safe environment.
KS1 and KS2
Hilton Spencer Academy follows the National Curriculum for children in Year 1 to 6.
Planning ensures breadth and balance that will engage and excite all learners and provide the best opportunities for deeper learning. Wherever possible, we encourage children to plan the direction of their learning, instilling independence and a positive attitude towards becoming a life long learner.
Enrichment opportunities are planned to enhance the curriculum by providing fortuity to take learning out of the classroom. This may take the form of a school trip, a visitor, an outing within the local community or the school field!
At Hilton Spencer Academy we use the following schemes of work to deliver aspects of the National Curriculum. Please follow the links to find out more about each resource.
- Mathematics - White Rose
- Phonics - Letters and Sounds
- Reading - Oxford Reading Tree
- Science - TigTag
- PE - Primary PE Passport
- PHSCE - Jigsaw
- Jigsaw Parent Guide
- A White Bus Conjunction Mat
- Fanboys Coordinating Conjunctions Mat
- Progression in Grammar and Punctuation
- Tense Posters
- Word Class Game
- Word Class Posters
To discover more about each year group’s curriculum, please see the termly overviews below:
- Foundation Stage
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 3
- Year 4
- Year 5
- Year 6